top of page
download (8).jpg

When you need to get your eyes checked, make sure you are seeing the correct type of eye care profession. There are three types of eye care professionals that specialize in different areas of ocular care.



An ophthalmologist specializes in eye and vision care. Ophthalmologists differ from optometrists and opticians in their levels of training and in what they can diagnose and treat. An ophthalmologist can diagnose and treats all eye diseases, perform eye surgery and prescribes and fits eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision problems.


Optometrists are healthcare professionals who provide primary vision care ranging from sight testing and correction to the diagnosis, treatment, and management of vision changes. An optometrist is not a medical doctor. They conduct eye exams and vision tests, prescribing and dispensing corrective lenses, detecting certain eye abnormalities, and prescribing medications for certain eye diseases.


Opticians trained to design, verify and fit eyeglass lenses and frames, contact lenses, and other devices to correct eyesight. They are not permitted to diagnose or treat eye diseases.


Dry eye occurs when the quantity or quality of your natural tears fails to keep the surface of the eye lubricated. The risk of developing dry eye increases with age and women have a higher incidence of dry eye compared with men. Your eye doctor or family physician may prescribe artificial tears (eye drops) if you experience symptoms of dry eyes, after an eye injury, or after eye surgery. Dr. Sarile recommends HYLO  as an artificial tear drop for his patients.

Please visit Ophthalmology Canada



bottom of page